Press here to go to Al Davis’s home page
- INTERNATIONAL TRAVEL
I have visited 90 countries on all seven continents.
See a list of countries
or a world map of the countries I have visited.
Here are some personal travel records:
- 5 continents in 10 days (November 25 - December 4, 2003): North America, Europe, Africa, South America, and Antarctica.
- 4 continents in 3 days (May 5 - 8, 2015): North America, South America, Africa, and Asia.
- 10 countries in 16 days (May 26 - June 11, 2006): Ukraine, Hungary, Croatia, Slovenia, Austria, Czech Republic, Germany, Luxembourg, Belgium, and Netherlands.
- 19 countries in 2 months (May 9 - July 9, 2006): United States, Germany, Poland, Belarus, Ukraine, Hungary, Croatia, Slovenia, Austria, Czech Republic, Germany, Luxembourg, Belgium, Netherlands, UK, Spain, France, Andorra, and Japan.
- 33 different hotels/homes in 9 weeks (May 7 - July 11, 2006):
Wrangler (Colorado Springs, CO, USA),
Park Inn (Erfurt, Germany),
Novotel (Berlin, Germany),
Kasyno (Jarocin, Poland),
Gwarek (Staszów, Poland),
Westin (Warsaw, Poland),
Hotel Horizont (Baranavichi, Belarus),
Almaz Hotel (Minsk, Belarus),
InTourist (Brest, Belarus),
Belovezhskaja (Kamjanjuki, Belarus),
Lion's Castle (L'viv, Ukraine),
Hotel Uzhgorod (Uzhgorod, Ukraine),
Club Hortobagy (Hortobagy, Hungary),
Annabella (Balonton-fured, Hungary),
Habakuk (Maribor, Slovenia),
Mercure Imlauer Nestroy (Vienna, Austria),
Pension Standard (Prague, Czech Republic),
Schuttersmuble (Eschenbach, Germany),
NH Airport (Frankfurt, Germany),
Hotel du Moulin (Bourscheid-Moulin, Luxembourg),
San Sebastian Hotel (San Sebastian, Germany),
Siddiqi Residence (Sheffield, UK),
Boadilla Palacio (Boadilla del Monte, Spain),
NH Amistad (Murcia, Spain),
Confortel Aqua 4 (Valencia, Spain),
Oliva Nova Golf (Oliva, Spain),
Sansi Diputacio (Barcelona, Spain),
Cal Daina (La Cortinada, Andorra),
Parador de Alcañiz (Alcañiz, Spain),
Boadilla Palacio (Boadilla del Monte, Spain),
Steigenberger Airport Hotel (Frankfurt, Germany),
Marriott (Nagoya, Japan),
Nikko (Tokyo, Japan).
- 42,000 actual air miles in one month (November 17 - December 16, 2003): Cape Town to Frankfurt to Newark to Charlotte to Tampa to DC to Newark to DC to Frankfurt to Cape Town to Buenos Aires to Ushuaia to Buenos Aires to DC to Denver to Colorado Springs.
- 18,000 actual air miles in 3 days (May 5 - 8, 2015): Albuquerque to Houston to Sao Paolo to Johannesburg to Doha to Kuala Lumpur.
- Slept on all seven continents: Completed on 8 December 2003 when I camped overnight on Antarctica.
- Visited every country on mainland North, Central, and South America: Completed on 23 January 2017 when I visited Honduras (Note: I have not visited French Guiana, which is not a country, but an overseas department of France; nor Greenland, which is not a country, but an autonomous division of Denmark.).
Here is my list of favorite accommodations (mostly eco-lodges).
I have visited every state in the United States, and have lived in 8 states: Arizona, Colorado, Illinois, Massachusetts, New Mexico, New York, Tennessee, and Virginia.
- DOMESTIC TRAVEL
Members of my family (See a December 2005 photo of my family):
I am very proud of my maternal grandfather, Morris
Slobodow, who immigrated to the United States to give his descendants a better education and future. In his memory, I established the Morris Slobodow Endowed Scholarship at the University of Colorado at Colorado Springs, to assist new immigrants in their quest for freedom and educational opportunity in this great country.
- My wife since 1976 Ginny.
- Our daughter Marsha (born 1980). Graduate from the University of Colorado, Boulder. (BS, anthropology and fine art) and Regis University (BS, nursing). She was a paramedic at Denver Health for many years, and is now an RN in labor and delivery at Denver Health. Married Ryan Saunders, a U.S. Navy Corpsman, November 2014. They brought us a grandchild, Owen Saunders, on May 17, 2016.
- Our son Michael (born 1983).
Culinary arts graduate of the Culinary Institute of Colorado Springs.
He is co-founder of MondoFood.com, an on-line retailer of gourmet foods; Mondo
Market, a Denver purveyor of gourmet foods; CarGoat, an app to order a vehicle to pick up your cargo and have it delivered to your destination; and Offtoa, Inc., an on-line service for entrepreneurs,
helping them craft business strategies to attain optimal financial returns for themselves and their investors.
- Our two ocicats, Bali Hai and Elizabeth Warren.
- I have played in monthly low stakes dealers' choice and Texas Hold'em poker games since 1978.
- I lose consistently but I sure do enjoy it.
- I did win the city-wide Colorado Springs 2007 Annual Amateurs Only Poker Tournament.
- When I moved to Albuquerque in 2014, I joined a bi-weekly (very) low stakes dealers' choice game.
I love to write. See my writings.
I love to teach. For me, there is no greater pleasure than to assist others in the learning experience. See classes I have taught.
I enjoy looking at cars, and driving them as well. Here is a list of the vehicles I have owned
- WATCHING AND DRIVING CARS
Ginny is an avid quilter; I love watching her quilt, and seeing the results. You can see some of her quilts by pressing here.
- QUILT WATCHING
I spend a few hours almost every evening working either on the Sunday New York Times Crossword Puzzle (usually completed by Monday) or on logic puzzles.
My favorite book of logic puzzles: Mensa Math & Logic Puzzles by Tuller and Rios (Sterling Press, 2000).
- CROSSWORD AND LOGIC PUZZLES
I have been designing and building large (600+ sqft), multi-level, cantilevered wooden decks for 32 years.
- DECK DESIGNING AND CONSTRUCTION
I own an Australian-made Trisled Gizmo, a recumbant tadpole trike, which I ride 2-3x week averaging around 8 miles at a time. I ride with my neighbor Ed.
I love photographing wildlife from around the world. One of my favorites is a female elephant seal I snapped on Aitcho Island in Antarctica.
- WILDLIFE PHOTOGRAPHY